Current:Home > MyChina says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -Blueprint Wealth Network
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:49:12
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Friday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (995)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- The Excerpt podcast: AI has been unleashed. Should we be concerned?
- Pakistani court convicts jailed ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan of revealing secrets ahead of elections
- Houthis target U.S. destroyer in latest round of missile attacks; strike British merchant ship
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- When a white supremacist threatened an Iraqi DEI coordinator in Maine, he fled the state
- 3 American service members killed and dozens injured in drone attack on base in Jordan, U.S. says
- This Memory Foam Mattress Topper Revitalized My Old Mattress & I’ve Never Slept Better
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Arrests made in investigation of 6 bodies found in remote California desert
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Ex-IRS contractor Charles Littlejohn, who admitted leaking Trump's tax records, sentenced to 5 years in prison
- The 49 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: $1 Lip Liners, Kyle Richards' Picks & More
- Missouri prosecutor seeks to overturn the conviction of an inmate who has spent decades on death row
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- In gridlocked Congress, unlikely issue of cellphones in schools forges bipartisan bonds
- Massachusetts man arrested for allegedly threatening Jewish community members and to bomb synagogues
- EU moves slowly toward using profits from frozen Russian assets to help Ukraine
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Jamie Dornan recalls going into hiding over negative 'Fifty Shades of Grey' reviews
Tens of thousands of rape victims became pregnant in states with abortion bans, study estimates
Police reviewing social media video as probe continues into fatal shooting that wounded officer
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
What is Tower 22, the military base that was attacked in Jordan where 3 US troops were killed?
Pakistani court convicts jailed ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan of revealing secrets ahead of elections
Gambling busts at Iowa State were the result of improper searches, athletes’ attorneys contend