Current:Home > InvestPolice in Michigan say 4 killed, 17 injured after semitruck crashes into vehicles stuck in traffic -Blueprint Wealth Network
Police in Michigan say 4 killed, 17 injured after semitruck crashes into vehicles stuck in traffic
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:45:07
WEBBERVILLE, Mich. (AP) — A section of Interstate 96 in southeast Michigan remained closed Sunday after a semitruck crashed into more than a dozen vehicles overnight, killing 4 people and injuring 17 others, according to state police.
Traffic on I-96 near Webberville had been temporarily stopped late Saturday as utility crews were completing work on power lines in the area. A semitruck with a trailer was heading westbound around 11:45 p.m. and crashed into the stalled vehicles.
“It appears the driver of the semi-truck did not see the backup and could not stop his vehicle in time,” Michigan State Police said in a statement on the social media platform X.
The impact caused the semitruck and several vehicles to catch fire. Police said more than a dozen vehicles were involved in the crash.
Police confirmed four deaths and said 17 people, including the driver of the truck, were injured and transported to nearby hospitals.
Michigan State Police said Sunday that the victims were a 29-year-old man from Carson City who was driving a Ford pickup and three relatives from Lansing who were in a Chevy Trax. They were identified as a 20-year-old female, a 43-year-old female and a 47-year-old male. Police did not say how they were related.
Authorities continued cleanup efforts Sunday and said I-96 near the site of the accident would “be closed for an indefinite period.”
veryGood! (1923)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards