Current:Home > reviews2 more women file lawsuits accusing Sean "Diddy" Combs of sexual abuse -Blueprint Wealth Network
2 more women file lawsuits accusing Sean "Diddy" Combs of sexual abuse
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:09:40
Two more women have accused Sean "Diddy" Combs of sexual abuse, one week after the music mogul settled a separate lawsuit with the singer Cassie that contained allegations of rape and physical abuse.
Both of the new suits were filed Thursday on the eve of the expiration of the Adult Survivors Act, a New York law permitting victims of sexual abuse a one-year window to file civil action regardless of the statute of limitations.
The filings detail acts of sexual assault, beatings and forced drugging allegedly committed in the early 1990s by Combs, then a talent director, party promoter and rising figure in New York City's hip-hop community.
One of the accusers, Joi Dickerson, said she was a 19-year-old student at Syracuse University when she agreed to meet Combs at a restaurant in Harlem in 1991. After their date, Combs "intentionally drugged" her, then brought her home and sexually assaulted her, according to the filing.
Without her knowledge, Combs videotaped the assault and later shared it with several friends in the music industry, the suit alleges. The public exposure sent Dickerson into a "tailspin," contributing to severe depression that landed her in the hospital and forced her to drop out of college, the lawsuit says.
In a separate lawsuit filed Thursday, an unnamed woman accused Combs and an R&B singer, Aaron Hall, of sexually assaulting her and a friend, then beating her several days later.
The woman — identified only as Jane Doe — said that she and her roommate returned to Hall's home with him and Combs after a music industry event in 1990 or 1991. The accuser said she was coerced into having sex with Combs. Afterward, as she was getting dressed, "Hall barged into the room, pinned her down and forced Jane Doe to have sex with him," the suit states.
When the victim later spoke to her friend, who is also not named, she learned that her friend "had been forced to have sex with Combs and Hall in another room," according to the suit. "Upon information and belief, when Combs finished with Jane Doe, he and Hall switched, and they commenced assaulting Jane Doe's friend," the suit states.
A few days later, an "irate" Combs allegedly showed up at the home of the two women in an attempt to stop them from speaking out about the abuse. He then choked the woman identified as Jane Doe until she passed out, the suit states.
In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for Combs denied the allegations, accusing the two women of seeking to exploit the New York law that temporarily extended the statute of limitations.
An email inquiry to Hall was not returned.
Tyrone Blackburn, an attorney for the unnamed accuser, said his client was in the process of securing medical documents and witness statements to support her suit, which was filed late Thursday "in an effort to preserve the statute of limitations."
The suit brought by Dickerson notes that the victim filed police reports in New York and New Jersey after the abuse. Inquiries to the New York City Police Department were not immediately returned. It was not clear which other jurisdictions the reports may have been filed.
After the filmed assault, Dickerson said she approached friends in the music industry asking them to confirm the existence of the "revenge porn" tape, but was rebuffed by those who were "terrified that Combs would retaliate against them and that they would lose future business and music opportunities."
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly, as Dickerson has done.
In years after the alleged assaults, Combs, now 54, would found his own label, Bad Boys Records, helping to produce Mary J. Blige and Biggie Smalls on his way to becoming one of the most influential hip-hop producers and executives in the genre's history.
The pair of lawsuits follow a separate set of explosive allegations made last week by Casandra Ventura, who performs under the name Cassie, who said that Combs subjected her to a pattern of abuse during their years-long relationship, which began in 2005, when she was 19 and he was 37.
Among the allegations, Ventura said Combs plied her with drugs, subjected her to "savage" beatings, and forced her to have sex with male prostitutes while he masturbated and filmed them. When she tried to end the relationship in 2018, Combs raped her, she alleged.
The lawsuit was settled one day after it was filed for an undisclosed sum.
In a statement shared by her lawyers, Ventura said she wanted to resolve this matter "on terms that I have some level of control."
Combs said: "We have decided to resolve this matter amicably. I wish Cassie and her family all the best. Love."
- In:
- Lawsuit
- Sexual Abuse
- P Diddy
- Sexual Assault
- New York
veryGood! (78524)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- HSN failed to report dangerous defect in 5.4 million steamers
- Albania’s deal with Italy on migrants has been welcomed by many. But others are confused and angry
- Melissa Rivers Is Engaged to Attorney Steve Mitchel
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Kim Kardashian fuels Odell Beckham Jr. dating rumors by attending NFL star's birthday party
- Uzbekistan hosts summit of regional economic alliance
- CIA chief William Burns heads to Qatar as efforts to contain Israel-Hamas conflict and release hostages continue
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Katy Perry handed a win in court case over owner refusing to sell $15 million California home
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- People who make pilgrimages to a World War II Japanese American incarceration camp and their stories
- Houston eighth grader dies after suffering brain injury during football game
- The Best Gifts For Runners On The Trail, Treadmill & Beyond
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Nation’s first openly gay governor looking to re-enter politics after nearly 20 years
- Tracy Chapman becomes first Black woman to win CMA Award 35 years after 'Fast Car' debut
- As Hollywood scrambles to get back to work, stars and politicians alike react to strike ending
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Nordstrom Rack's Clear the Rack Sale Is Here: Save up to 95% on Madewell, Kate Spade & More
Israeli military tour of northern Gaza reveals ravaged buildings, toppled trees, former weapons lab
Farmers get billions in government aid. Some of that money could fight climate change too.
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Hockey Player Adam Johnson Honored at Memorial After His Tragic Death
Japanese automaker Honda reports its 3Q profit jumped on strong demand at home and in the US
SAG-AFTRA reaches tentative agreement with Hollywood studios in a move to end nearly 4-month strike